Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Trying not to freak out

I've been on progesterone suppositories since 2dpo. My RE prescribed me to take them through 16w, since that's when I'd start P17 injections. Now, all that's in jeopardy.

Most RE's only prescribe progesterone during the first trimester, since then the placenta takes over and the suppositories are, usually, unnecessary. But, since I'd be going on P17 shots we didn't think it worth it to stop progesterone at 12w, only to start taking it again 4w later.

At my OB appointment last week we decided that since I had enough pills to get me through 17w, then that is when we'd start the shots. The nurse, who is apparently newish to the clinic, hadn't ordered P17 shots before, so she asked if she could consult with someone else in the office and get back to me; no problem. That was Wednesday.

Today I called and spoke with the nurse. She has been doing what she's supposed to be doing, sending paperwork in for a prior auth with the insurance company to see if what insurance will cover is more or less than the manufacturer's assistance program. This is all great...except that our current insurance is only valid through tomorrow and new insurance begins on May 1. I'm supposed to start the shots next week.

So, the nurse is going to call and cancel the request with the current insurance and start working with the new insurance to see if they require any prior authorizations and what the coverage is. Ugh. I'm really trying not to freak out, but really, come on! I have enough pills to continue suppositories through 17w1d (which is Thursday and the day I have a cervical length u/s scheduled and hoped to get my first shot). During Oscar's and Bella's pregnancy I was admitted to the hospital at 17w4d, and they were born and died at 17w6d. This timing could not be worse for any snafu's, delays or hiccups. I'm not a religious person, but there have been times in my life where I have prayed to a higher being.

Please, please, please, let me be able to start my P17 injections next Thursday without any huge issues. PLEASE!


  1. Keep after them, and perhaps call the insurance company yourself. I'm sure it will all go swimmingly, but boy do I understand the anxiety!

  2. praying things get worked out for you!!