Monday, November 5, 2012

World Diabetes Day--Random Thoughts

To those not in the know, November 14 is World Diabetes Day, but every day for me is diabetes day. Every day I test my blood sugar. Every day I wear my insulin pump. Almost every day I wear my continuous glucose monitoring sensor. Every day I wonder why I was high or low. Every day I wonder if I will continue to live complication-free.

I've been diagnosed with diabetes for 30 years, and thankfully have been complication-free for all of those 30 years, despite not having the best control until I was in my late 20's. I don't know why I've been so fortunate, but I am so grateful. I'm grateful that after having diabetes for about 27 years I was able to get pregnant, and while we didn't get to bring those children home, their deaths were not caused by diabetes. I'm thankful that after having diabetes for 28 years I was able to bring home an average-weight (7lb8oz) baby home that has no ill-effects because he is the product of a type 1 diabetic mom.

There have been many posts lately, in the diabetic community with November being National Diabetes Awareness Month and November 14 being World Diabetes Day. If we sat down for a while and talked, I could fill you in on what it's like (the ups and downs, highs and lows, and fears) to live with type 1 diabetes every day. Or, you can take a step into Type 1 diabetes. Please sign up at JDRF if you've every wondered what it's like to live in my shoes as a type 1 diabetic, to be worried about how many carbs I'm eating, if I have enough insulin to cover it, if I'm estimating the carbs correctly, to wake up with a scary-low in the middle of the night and have to ask for help...and then get up the very next day and do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment