Thursday, October 6, 2016

Capture Your Grief 2016-Day 6: Empathy

This post is part of Carly Marie's Capture Your Grief.

So often when someone experiences the death of a baby or child, family and loved ones fail miserably at empathy because they try to fix what has happened....So today you are invited to educate people on the art of empathy. We don't need to turn this into a vent about what not to say, but rather what to say and what they can do that will actually comfort the grieving. What does empathy look like for you?

Allowance. To me, empathy looks like allowance. The allowing of one person, the bereaved, to BE without trying to fix or judge or advance healing. Empathy is allowing the grieving parent to be with their feelings at that moment and just let that experience happen. Hand me a tissue when I'm crying. Give me a hug on an especially hard day. Grab my hand to let me know that you're there for me. Let me talk when I want to talk and let me fade into the background when that's what I need to do. Allow me to BE, with you by my side.


No comments:

Post a Comment