Saturday, February 15, 2014

Looks like we're moving to Iowa

And there it is. We are 98% sure that we will be moving to Iowa. I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life, and now I'll be moving to Iowa. I'll be picking up with my family and move to a town of 4,000 that is 4.5 hours away from where we currently live. I am terrified, but that's a whole other post.

We left on Tuesday morning and the drive went reasonably well. We arrived at the hotel around 2pm. Unfortunately, there wasn't really a good place to take Gus to let him run around, so we ended up getting talked to about how Gus couldn't run in the hallway because other people were trying to sleep (they worked the night shift). We met with a realtor from 3pm-5:15pm and looked at four houses. Next we met with Jon's potential new boss and his wife for dinner at a local restaurant. Back to the hotel for sleep (this was Gus' first night in a hotel and he wanted to sleep with me. I was worried about him not falling asleep, or him awaking lots because of the noise of the bathroom during the night that I slept terribly) as we needed to be at a meeting at 8:30am on Wednesday.

We awoke at 6:15am, I showered and we headed down to the continental breakfast. After Jon was finished eating he headed up to the room to shower and get dressed for his half day of interviews. We got all checked out and we headed over to the company. We (Jon, Gus and I) met with the HR person for about 15 minutes, then we separated. Gus and I went with the HR person for 45 minutes and went over the insurance options (price shock compared to what we're paying now, and no dental!). Then Gus and I headed out with the realtor to look at 5 more houses. We made it through that and met up with Jon, his prospective boss and the person he'd be replacing (that is retiring). After lunch Jon had to head back with his prospective boss because they wanted a bit more time to talk, so Gus, the realtor and I went to see a new housing development that was supposedly in our price range (it wasn't). Then we went to pick Jon up, brought him through one of the houses that I had seen that morning and got on the road, 3 hours later than expected. On the drive home we stopped to see our nephew who is a freshman in college and took him out to dinner. This is the nephew that Gus LOVES.

We finally got home (after Gus' bedtime), got him in bed, unpacked quickly and fell into bed thinking we would have to wait at least a week to hear anything, as Jon was told they were interviewing another candidate. Thursday around noon, Jon received a job offer with a salary that was a little bit more than we expected. Friday he had his pre-employment physical and drug test and turned in the paperwork for his background check. As each item is completed, the HR person will keep Jon updated, as he doesn't want to give notice to his current employer until it's 100% certain. We're thinking Jon's start date could be as soon as mid-March!


  1. Wow. How exciting! I hope all goes well during this tremendous change.

    1. Thanks. It's just all so much in such a short amount of time, and throwing in a pregnancy just makes it all the more nerve-wracking.